Ateneo Hosts Photo Exhibit on History of Zamboanga Archdiocese
An exhibit featuring reproductions of 1850s lithographs, circa 1900 photos, and artifacts of the Zamboanga Church opened November 17 at The Gallery of the Peninsula and the Archipelago of Ateneo de Zamboanga University.
The exhibit, dubbed La Parroquia: A History of the Catholic Church in Zamboanga, 1635 - Present: A Photo Exhibit, is a collaboration between ADZU and the Archdiocese as part of the celebration of the Golden Jubilee as an Archdiocese (1958-2008) and Centennial Anniversary as a Diocese (1910-2010) of the Catholic Church of Zamboanga.
The exhibit will run until December 20, 2008 and can be visited from 9:00 to 12:00 noon and 1:00 to 6:00 pm from Mondays to Fridays and 8:00 to 12:00 noon on Saturdays at The Gallery of the Peninsula and the Archipelago, AdZU, La Purisima Campus.
On the opening day a ribbon cutting ceremony was held at 4:30 pm at the gallery, located at the university's La Purisima Campus. The ceremony was officiated by Zamboanga Archbishop Romulo Valles, DD and Ateneo President Fr. Antonio Moreno SJ.
The exhibit was preceded by a lecture featuring the Archdiocesan Period (1958 to the present) of the Zamboanga Catholic Church history given by Aireen Barrios PhD, Dean of the School of Liberal Arts, and Dr. Robert Panaguiton, Director of the Institute of Cultural Studies for Western Mindanao. The lecture was held at the Carlos Dominguez Conference Hall.
This lecture was the last in a series of three lectures spanning the three periods in the development of the Catholic Church in Zamboanga.
Two lectures on Marian devotion and church registers as sources of church history are scheduled for December 3 from 2:00 to 4:30 PM at the same Gallery.
For inquiries, you may contact Tricia or Eunice at the telephone number 991 0871, local 4301.